Frequently Asked Questions

What is sponsorship?

Child sponsorship establishes a relationship between individual donors and child beneficiaries. Sponsors provide a monthly gift, which is used to provide benefits for their child or children. Just $100/month can fully support one child with all our services.

Bal Sewa Griha has chosen sponsorship as our means of helping needy children because pairing one child with a sponsor is the most effective way to receive consistent gifts from our donors, and therefore provide stable, ongoing benefits and services to the children.

Please visit our Donate page for more details on sponsorship, budgetary information, and general fund donations. For additional questions or information, please contact us at

As a sponsor, how can I provide so much for only $100 a month?

Bal Sewa Griha has many ways to keep costs down without sacrificing the care received by each child. Therefore, you can be assured that any donation you make will go far in improving the life of needy children in Nepal.

1.     We hire local professionals to work in our home. Not only is it less expensive, but we also feel that the citizens of Nepal are best equipped to understand and meet the needs of sponsored children and their families.

2.     We train volunteers to help us carry out program activities – many of whom are the parents and relatives of the sponsored children.

3.     We purchase items for the children such as food, clothing and school supplies in bulk quantities in the area where we work through bids – to save money and help the local economy.

How do you ensure that the funds you receive are spent as your sponsors intend?

Financial accountability is a matter of paramount importance at Bal Sewa Griha. Our orphanage undergoes stringent accounting and financial reporting procedures to ensure that your generous donations are properly used. 

Why do you choose to send your children to private schools, when you can save money at government schools?

To provide the best possible education for our children! We realize that we can save money by choosing to send our children to government schools. However, we also know that because our children have had so little, we need to give them the best education Nepal has to offer. Education is their path to independence, and we are adamant in our desire to help them achieve their goals.

By sponsoring a child, you will ensure that they are educated at the best schools in the area.

Can I visit my child?

Of course! Nothing is better than meeting your sponsored child face-to-face, to witness firsthand what your contributions provide to improve their life.

Will my child write to me? Can I write to my child?

es! You will receive two letters a year from your child. Of course, you may write to your child as often as you wish. And you will always receive a reply to your letter.

Am I my child’s only sponsor?

If you sponsor a child for $100/month, you will be your child's sole sponsor. If you choose to sponsor a child for less than $100/month, you and other donors will share sponsorship of your child. And you may sponsor more than one child if you wish.

How does Bal Sewa Griha accept children to receive services?

BSG is licensed by the government of Nepal to provide residence and services to children of all backgrounds. Children who are disabled, deaf, blind, or afflicted by extreme conditions such as HIV are referred to other organizations. 

Children who do not require residence at BSG are brought to us by parents or guardians. After an application process, children in need are eligible to receive non-residential services, such hot meals, education, healthcare, and more.

Children who require residential services are those who are orphaned, abandoned, or helplessly poor. For those who are found on the street, BSG becomes their only family. They are brought to BSG from a variety of sources, including police, government officials, guardians, parents, and others. In general, the following must be provided:
• Birth certificate
• Proof of orphan status / death certificate(s) of parent(s)
• Letter of recommendation from Village Development Committee (VDC) or similar organization
• Current guardian's proof of citizenship, if applicable
• Personal application letter from current guardian, if applicable
• Child's educational certificates, if applicable

Can I adopt a child?

Please visit our Child Adoption page for more information.